Saturday 19 November 2016

This Is A Close One

The 2016 DPWTC is boiling up to producing a great finish and what's the betting that tomorrow there will be a play-off?  It certainly looks that way to me although the competition is already, a day before ending, scheduled to provide something different in the form of the players going out in three balls for the first time since its inception.
The reason is that fog is anticipated in the morning and a delayed start expected.  It was foggy this morning when I drove to the course and a fifty minute delay to start of play was implemented.  This is actually a little worrying bearing in mind that I have to drive to Abu Dhabi tomorrow evening for my 0200 flight back to the UK, well remembering the trauma of two years ago when I was chauffeured at warp speed to Abu Dhabi by a recently arrived Indian taxi driver and in the thickest of pea soupers!! The trauma of that night remains indelibly with me and the only consolation about tomorrow is that at least it is me in control.
Today was the first opportunity to meet up with all my friends from the golf club who were on early report and a photo is attached below recording the occasion.  To be honest, they all looked a little pale with the exception of Amanda and I questioned whether or not this was the result of a heavy night!  It was slightly more than this because some of them were actually in shock, having dined last night at the Burj Al Arab, one of the only seven star hotels in the world.  Prior to dining, they partook of a drink in the Sky Bar in the same building.  The collective bill for six eating out was 4969 Dirhams.  Doesn't sound much but actually it amounted to the grand total of £1,141!!!  Some highlights were £16 for a Peroni, £80 for a bottle of Sav Blanc and £12 for a coffee.  Phew!  I'm so glad to be staying with Ellen and Chris rather than my very rich golfing friends.  Tonight, they are dining at the exclusive Nobu so I'm looking forward to that bill in the morning.  Tee hee.
I had a great pairing today in Tommy Fleetwood and Shane Lowry, the former scoring particularly well and ending up in the top ten with a great chance of winning the competition.  I was mightily impressed by his happy, smiling disposition which lasted the whole of the round.  Tommy has moved comfortably today up my list of favourite golfers and Shane had already progressed into the Premier League in view of what he did earlier this week.
It was hot, hot, hot today with high humidity to go with it.  Actually quite unpleasant at  times, particularly, if like my charge, Eric, you were carrying a scaffolding pole with a scorecard on top!  My luck continued and to date I have been blessed with the creme de la creme of scoreboard carriers.  Like Oliver and Jasper, Eric cleared the high bar, so much so that he had updated the scores even before the golfers had made them!  Clearly he had psychic powers and so tomorrow, I am going to ask Eric for next weekend's winning lottery numbers!  Photo of the mystic and psychic Eric below.  I really am worried for tomorrow's appointee but whether or not they are up to the standard achieved to date, my Blog will report them as the best yet.  It has been a joy to work with such great youngsters who are a credit to their teachers, their school and of course their parents.
So it's the last day tomorrow, I'm out early so I won't be scoring for the champion but at least I will be able to eat the lunch provided for volunteers, something I haven't achieved over the past three days because of my late starts with the higher echelons of the leaderboard.
Tomorrow as well, the story of the yoghurt and the cream cheese unless tonight's Nobu experience provides valuable copy!

The dreaded bill !  Aaaagghhh...

The pale faced Skipton Crew with honorary Skipton member, Guy

The Marshals Facility

Eric - he definitely has psychic powers

Today's scorecard

Mark and his son Jordan.  You make great friends volunteering

A view down the first hole

No comments:

Post a Comment