Monday 14 November 2016

The Joy of Blue Skies

I wasn't able to get directly to Dubai with my carrier of choice, British Airways but I was able to get on their flight to Abu Dhabi. This was a treat for me because I had never previously flown on a 787 and I was surprised just how quiet this aircraft, powered by Rolls Royce engines, really is. Geek moment over!
Fully rested after a night's sleep in the Premier Inn at Abu Dhabi (yes I lead the high life) I collected my hire car from Avis for the one hour drive North under beautiful blue skies. 
Every time I come to Dubai, I am overwhelmed at the building work and the tower cranes in evidence. I am also amazed at the continuously increasing levels of traffic which at times test the patience of the locals beyond extreme!  Mind you the thing that amazed me the most today was passing a flat bed truck with a camel for cargo!!  If only I could have got the photo. 
I am lucky to be staying with Chris and Ellen,  a recently married young couple who have moved out to Dubai for a couple of years. I have known Ellen since she was a babe in arms and her mum and dad have been some of our closest friends for longer than I care to remember.  Their apartment is lovely and it is so convenient for my week's work on this golf tournament.  Mind you, negotiating the roadworks to get to it is my worst nightmare and in three efforts this afternoon, I went wrong every time!  Good job I left my heart rate monitor at home!
I am writing this from the course as the meeting for Scorers and TV personnel is scheduled for 5pm.  Not too worrisome for me being so experienced at this scoring malarkey!!  I really wish I hadn't said that in case it comes back to haunt me! 
I have already had a wander around the course which looks in immaculate condition and also watched some of the Professionals going through their various practice routines.  Watching them really crystallises why in my case I play off a moderate 12 handicap!  The difference is in the way they practice and I felt quite privileged today to watch Alex Noren and his putting coach work for at least two hours honing his putting stroke.  This is the man who yesterday won the Nedbank Challenge in South Africa pocketing a cool £903,000 taking his earnings this year to £2.6 million!  Would you believe that only two years ago his total purse for the season was just £5,000.  Incredible but perhaps understandable when you see his work ethic.
Of course the practice routine for me and many other golfers is ensuring that you are able to fasten your golf shoes whilst running to the first tee and at the same time avoiding falling flat on your face.  The after round practice for me, usually involves bacon sandwiches and tea.  I'm never going to improve.
A few photos today to set the scene from Dubai with the Pro-Am scheduled for a Tuesday.  The forecast for the week is fantastic although today at 35 degrees, it was a tad warm.
They are all European tour players on the The Earth Course
The Race to Dubai.  Millions of Euros to play for!

The 10th tee

Looking towards the 18th green

Alex Noren - The 2.6 Million Pound Man

Home for the next 6 days

No comments:

Post a Comment