Thursday 17 November 2016

Now It Gets Serious!

All the fun days have gone!  Game face on!  And that's just me!  How do the Pro's feel??
Yes, today the competition starts in earnest.  No cameras.  No banter with Professionals or Caddies.  Keep your mouth shut and concentrate.  Much effort needed for that, particularly when some observers, wife included, allege I am in first stage dementia!!  Bloody hell, I'm only 63!  Still, someone retains faith in me, notably Jenni Hoskins, Chief Marshal at the DPWTC and I vow, before venturing out, not to let her down.
It's funny how the relaxed atmosphere of the past couple of days disappears (have a look at the Mannequin Challenge from yesterday to see relaxed) particularly when you roll up to the European Tour's Scorer hut to collect your two-way radio, handheld computer, clipboard and in my case, Group 24 scorecard.  Group 24 by the way consisted of Martin Kaymer and Andy Sullivan, a pairing guaranteed to generate watchers and I wasn't wrong!
The heart rate perhaps increases marginally in the Scorer's hut but I'm pretty certain a heart rate monitor would record a distinct jump when you arrive at the first tee.
Prior to that short walk of course, you collect your colleague for the round which in my case was a delightful young schoolboy called Oliver.  Delightful should be in big, bold letters because that's exactly what he was, both on our initial meeting and throughout the 4+ hours that we spent together.  Brilliant attitude, superb awareness of everything required, despite being a non-golfer and for a change, someone who actually reacted to what I asked them to do!  I would happily have him as my partner for the next three days particularly as he never complained about the monstrosity which is the walking scoreboard.  More on that later.
We didn't get off to a good start though because after a somewhat unnerving occasion last year with Rory McIlroy and calls for Referees, the same damned thing happened today, only this time it came after the very first shot from Martin Kaymer!This after he had been disturbed by a spectator taking a picture, the most cardinal of sins around any tee bed!!  Yes, I was asked to call for a Referee, the call was acknowledged but the Referee didn't arrive being otherwise disposed on another fairway!  The players knew the Rule anyway but the consequence of that photo attempt was that Martin double bogeyed the first!  Not the start to put you in a good frame of mind.
Both players struggled throughout their respective rounds with Kaymer finishing at -1 but Sullivan at +4!  That score is hard for players of this quality to accept but such is the bizarre nature of golf that tomorrow they could both come out and shoot six under.  I hope that they do.
 Before signing off for the day, I need to come back to the mobile scoreboards that these young kids have to carry on and off for at least four hours!  They are a form of torture because they appear to consist of the heaviest materials available which could inflict pain on young people.  In the case of Oliver, he finished his day's efforts with blisters on both hands and if anybody from the European Tour or the DPWTC should happen to read this post, can I please make a plea that for next year, these be replaced by something a little bit more modern and less like an instrument of torture.  It needn't be a costly exercise and I bet if you asked the players, they would happily pick up the tab for replacement.  Actually, having seen the damage and pain inflicted I'd even contribute myself!  Rant over.
Following on from yesterday's Volunteer's Tale, today simply reaffirmed why I love working on this Championship and why I encourage other people to give volunteering a go.
Tomorrow, I am out with Group 27 which should consist of Sergio Garcia and Joost Luiten.  If these two play like they have today, then those of you with Sky Sports might even see me on tv.
By the way, if anybody reading my output feels they know fellow golfers or indeed anyone who might be interested, then please send them the following link - www.alindubai.blogspot.com  Also feel free to make any comments on my experiences by clicking on the box at the bottom of each post.

Superb young colleague today.  Nice one Oliver.  Thanks for great support.

 An Eerie Looking Practice Ground Very Early This Morning

Dubai 103.8 Broadcasting Live Every Day From The DPWTC

The Badge That Counts

Who Needs a Computer When You Have Paper!

A Tough Day at the Office Today for Andy Sullivan

Chris Wood Makes Me Feel Short!

Alex Noren - The Current Form Player

Thorbjorn Olesen - This Golfer is a Pure Delight

Joost Luiten - One of my Charges for Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment